No final decision has been made on Xavi's future
The midfielder's agent met club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta on Tuesday, but no final decision has been made on his future
Barcelona have told Xavi they won't stand in the player's way if he wants to leave the Catalan club this summer, Goal understands.
Al-Arabi coach Dan Petrescu claimed on Tuesday that the midfielder had signed a pre-contract agreement with the Qatar outfit, though the 34-year-old has in fact yet to make a final decision on his future.
Xavi is currently out in Brazil for the World Cup with Spain, but his agent Ivan Corretja met Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu and sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta for talks concerning the player's future on Tuesday.
No final decision was reached, however, with new coach Luis Enrique keen to meet the midfielder personally to discuss plans for the coming campaign.
When he was unveiled last month, Luis Enrique said: "Xavi is a former team-mate and a great friend of mine. Whenever he wants to, we'll sit down and talk about whatever he wants."
However, Barca have since signed Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic from Sevilla and with Luis Enrique known to demand a high work-rate from his players, it is unclear whether Xavi can fit into that philosophy.
Previous coach Gerardo Martino left the 34-year-old on the bench for the Liga decider against Atletico Madrid last month and the Spain midfielder is unlikely to accept a bit-part role next season.
Barca have told the player's agent that he can leave if he wishes, following in the footsteps of fellow club captains Carles Puyol and Victor Valdes.
If Xavi does decide to leave Camp Nou this summer, however, he is likely to be inundated with offers to extend his playing days elsewhere.
The midfielder, who came close to joining both Manchester United and Bayern Munich earlier in his career, has appeared in over 700 competitive matches for Barcelona and won 22 tropies for the Catalan club.
Pilar Suarez & Ben Hayward
World Cup 2014